Mau Maus/Stepmother @ TV Eye, Queens, NY 8/18/26
Bill: Mau Maus/Stepmother/Vaxine/Disket/Scrapyard
Venue: TV Eye, 16-17 Weirfield St., Ridgewood, Queens, NYDate: Tuesday 8/18/26
Door: $20 (on list)
10:45pm Mau Maus
Active: 1978 (Sheffield, UK)
Latest Release: The Battle Scars of Human Debris (Boss Tuneage, 2026)
Bandcamp Facebook Instagram Discogs Setlist AllMusic John Peel Wiki YouTube Spotify
10:00pm Stepmother
Active: 2022 (Melbourne, Australia)
Affiliated: Witch, Lecherous Gaze, Annihilation Time, Rot TV
Latest Release: Absurdus Manifestus (Tee Pee, 2026)
Bandcamp Instagram Discogs AllMusic Setlist YouTube Spotify
Missed: Vaxine, Disket, Scrapyard
I managed to sneak out of my night sales job to get to TV Eye in time for Graham Clise's latest Tee Pee band Stepmother. Since I've been putting some hours in the Tee Pee office of late, I'm starting to see the long history of bands he's put out through the label, but somehow the new one went straight to the distributor and I have yet to hold a physical copy of Absurdus Manifestus in my hands even though it came out in April. Well anyway, while chatting with Kenny in the front bar, the band went on but we figured they were about on so we saw the band of the hour. Kenny was very happy with Blue Oyster Cult conversations abounding after the set and rocking was had for all. It all came together at the end with the Nuge-boy Dukes.
I was also curious to check out the UK82 band Mau Maus NYC debut. Unofficial "promotional event" of course as the singer noted they were in on vacation visas. So is the way of life these days as they promote their brand of post-Motorhead, crusty bar punk pre-crusty. I like to call it Sweetwater jukebox music, because that now gone Williamsburg bar always had early 80's UK hardcore compilations on the jukebox. The Mau Maus say they rehearse once a week, but at least they have a new full length out and they don't fully feel like a nostalgia band. Apparently they have a new vocalist Danny Worm and guitarist and bass player are the original members, but who the fuck knows or cares? All I know is this isn't the LA Mau Maus that existed roughly in the same era. Oi!
FOR FURTHER REVIEW:
Stepmother @ TV Eye, Queens, NY 4/3/25
Annihilation Time @ Brooklyn Monarch, Brooklyn, NY 7/19/25
.jpeg)









Comments
Post a Comment