The Whimbrels/Oof!/Loveletter @ Mama Tried, Brooklyn, NY 10/5/24

 


Bill: The Whimbrels/Oof!/Loveletter

Venue: Mama Tried, Brooklyn, NY

Date: 10/5/24

Door: Free

6:30pm The Whimbrels



Active: 2024 (Brooklyn, NY)

Associated: Arad Evans-Guitar  Heroes Of Toolik, Glenn Branca Ensemble

,Norman Westberg-Guitar ALN, Carnival Crash, Crippled And The Burnout, Five Dollar Priest, Hidden Rifles, Magic Crystal Dirt, New Detroit Inc., Route 666, Scarcity Of Tanks, Sugartime, Sulfur, Swans, The Heroine Sheiks, This Is Where, Willing Victim (2), A/N (2)

Matt Hunter Brett Eugene Ralph's Kentucky Chrome Revue, Heroes Of Toolik, J Mascis + The Fog, New Radiant Storm King, Silver Jews, The Wharton Tiers Ensemble, Zeke Fiddler

Luke Schwarz,-Guitar Glenn Branca Ensemble

Steve Dibenedetto- Drums Wonderama

Latest Release: Scream For Me (The Whimbrels, 2024)

Bandcamp Facebook Instagram  YouTube

5:30pm Oof!



Active: 2017 (New York, NY)

Latest Release: Mirror Mirror (20/20, 2024)

Bandcamp Instagram

4:30pm Loveletter



Active: 2022 (New York, NY)

Latest Release: Testament (Loveletter, 2024)

Bandcamp  Instagram YouTube


I thought I'd check up with my previous roommate Dennie's band Loveletter.  I had witnessed them with their current lineup but I think not since their recordings with Martin Bisi came out.  They've got an air of confidence that only time together can produce.  Oof! were "Oofing" their brand of no-wave tag teaming vocals and sax.  Somehow, I didn't realize all the Branca ties the Whimbrels had or that Matt Hunter was the leader of this band.  I had heard that Norm Westberg was now an added guitar in the lineup but when I saw him earlier in the day I thought he was just casually there to see Dennie's band.  Those 'oh yeah' moments hit you in life.

Despite a beautiful day, the show got moved inside to the bar area.  Apparently there is a single malcontent complaining about the occasional afternoon 3 band bill of loud rock bands outside.  In light of what is now being known as being "Saint Vitused" where a single neighbor can bring down a long established music venue with incessant complaining (as happened with that decade plus metal venue in Greenpoint).  Too bad, it was a perfect area for a casual hangout.  We shall see if Mama Tried can ultimately get licensed for this.

For further review: Oof! @ Mama Tried 8/29/24















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan/Lucinda Williams/Jimmie Vaughan and the Tilt A Whirl Band @ Forest Hills Stadium, Queens, NY 7/21/26

Margo Price/Pearl Charles @ Webster Hall, New York, NY 2/19/26

Outlaw Music Festival: Willie Nelson & Family/Bob Dylan/Wilco/Lucinda Williams @ Northwell at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY 8/1/25